Sunday, September 16, 2012

A BEARel of Laughs - An interview with Jude

You have probably already seen the auction - for a BEARly used Tyler Wentworth doll.

The debut of Barney the Bear's OOAK artistry was a rousing success


I don’t know about anyone else, but I was laughing so hard that I could BEARly breathe by the time I finished reading it. The auction was for a Tyler Wentworth doll by the Tonner Doll Company, who had had an up close and personal encounter with Barney, a black bear in Colorado. Jude, a regular poster on Prego, posted her photos of Tyler and Barney, and eventually sold Tyler on eBay.

I love the wit that went into this auction posting:

For sale a poor pathetic older unknown Tyler BEARLY USED PLEASE EXCUSE THE STRAY HAIRS
I have used her for a wig model
Mint except for:
Hair has been cut off
Thumb missing on one hand
Fingers missing on the other hand
Slightly played with by bears
Bite marks on head and body
Smells like Bears
Hairspray on Face
She is kind of dirty but could be cleaned up with a magic sponge or NOT
No original box
Comes from a smoke free and BIG pet friendly area
Questions please email.
Emergency sale
Will be shipped in a padded envelope as more damage won't hurt her anyway

On Sep-04-12 at 15:59:52 PDT, seller added the following information:
Sorry the bear is not included in the auction. It would cost an enormous amount to ship and he doesn't want to leave the mountain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Sep-05-12 at 06:49:19 PDT, seller added the following information:
COA included with doll and signed photos from Barney. He has sacrificed his beloved doll for auction and hopes the winner will be delighted with her. With a little TLC she might look better or maybe not. Barney is thinking of offering another one of his dolls from his private collection for auction at a later date.

BEARing this in mind, it seemed like a BEAR Necessity to interview Jude, and have her tell our readers a little about herself, and her big, hairy, artist neighbor, Barney the Bear.

Who you calling big and hairy?
Jude, how long have you lived in Colorado?

All my life

How have you adjusted to living with neighbors such as Barney? How did Barney introduce himself?

I have lived here on the mountain for 21 years and there are a lot of bears here. We have learned to adjust to them. We are just very careful. The photo opportunites are amazing.

I admire your bravery, I am a coward when it comes to bears. The closest encounter I ever had was while camping at Mt. Rainier when I was about 5 years old, and a bear made my dad teleport about 15 feet!


Barney at work on his first OOAK project, a Tyler Wentworth doll

Was this particular Tyler Wentworth doll, whom you used as a wig model, a favorite?

I have had this Tyler for about 7 years. She had a mishap with my dog when she was a puppy and has issues since. I thought she would be a great candidate for “Bearly played with” for Barney.

Hey, no photos until I'm done! 

Tell us something about your doll collection - what dolls do you have in your collection? Are there any Grails that you are still seeking?

I collect Numina dolls by Paul Pham, Sybarites and a few bjds and Tonners. No Grails at this time.

Ugh! The stupid brushes always fall just out of reach of my paws!
What Grails, if any, do you think Barney has?

Barney loves dolls. He seems to bearly think of anything else. He has a special love for Bearallina dolls. (ballerina)

That would be an interesting OOAK to see next - maybe a Night On Bald Mountain would be an appropriate theme to play to inspire Barney while he works.

A closeup of Barney's painstaking work
What inspired your eBay auction?

I was just thinking it would be cute to put a doll outside and see what the bears would do. Barney showed up first and was BEARy intrigued with her. I took the photos and got to laughing so hard and decided to post them on Prego. Someone on Prego suggested I should put it on Ebay. From there it was 3 days of constant laughter. The questions and answers were hilarious. Animal lovers came out in force and the auction turned out incredible.

I'll say - from a $.99 opening bid to a $430 close - that's pretty impressive for an OOAK debut, especially by an artist of a completely different species!

Not quite mint, but not bad, either!
How did you and Barney come to the decision to sell his OOAK work?

Barney loves art and wanted to share it with all the doll and bear lovers. He is so thoughtful.

One thing's for sure, Jude, the two of you make a winning OOAK team. With his artistry, and your genius for publicity, the only limits are affording the dolls for Barney to work on.

Better start running, I want to look my best for the auction!

How did you feel when you found out that Robert Tonner, the owner of Tonner Doll Company (Tyler’s manufacturer) knew about your auction?

It was amazing!!!!! I was afraid he might be offended because Barney loved the doll so much.

I seem to recall telling you to send an email to Mr. Tonner, telling him you had photographic proof that his dolls are beloved by all species!

Did anyone at Tonner Doll contact you?

Yes, they did and said they loved the auction and would be bidding on it.

What is Barney’s next OOAK project, after this stunning debut?

Barney is working on 2 different bearalinna dolls. The next one will go on auction tomorrow. He is finishing up a makeover of a Miss Piggy. They try to dance. Barney picked a special song just for her  ”Swine Lake”

Jude and Barney's second auction - a Miss Piggy doll by Tonner
Does Barney have anything to add? I’m sure our regular readers would love a quote from him!

Barney is so touched about all the caring posts and bids on his auction. He wants to tell everyone how BEARy touched he is with all of this!

I don’t want to pry into anyone’s privacy, but a fellow Prego member is said to have won the auction, and thus, Barney’s first efforts at OOAK. Please tell the winner to take pictures of his or her new doll, and post them. I’m sure we would ALL like to see that Tyler has adjusted well to her new life as a piece of One of A Kind art.

The questions asked on this auction were pretty funny, and it seems that the potential buyers understood the humor Jude and Barney intended. Here are some of the highlights:

Q:  You mentioned in your listing that were a few stray hairs and this Tyler was used as a wig model. What size wig does she take. I suppose the stray hairs are what I see on her face. Since you said "Mint Condition" I assume they can just simply be brushed off and she is pretty well cleaned up. Or (reading between the lines) is the damage to her face so bad that she has filed for workmen's (women's) compensation and her face needs extensive plastic surgery if she wishes to appear normal in public again.

A:   She wears a 5-6 wig as you can also find in my store. Barney is taking wig styling so Mr. Barney may have some great creations on the horizon. Yes, she has been a model for about 6 years and that hair is embedded with hairspray. You might be able to clean it off with a power sander. That is a thought. She should file for some kind of compensation. She is bearly able to have any spa treatment at the time. Sad isn't it?


Q:  You mention that this OOAK Tyler is in Mint condition except for a few minor defects which you list-mostly to the hands. I was interested in possibly using her as a shoe model, but you don't show her feet in any of the photos. Does she even have feet? or have these modified in the artistic process? Thank you.

A:   Thank you for your question. I bearly remembered to take the other photos. Sorry. Yes she does have feet and one has a tooth mark on the bottom and the other has some mystery brown stuff? on it. Not sure what it is???? I'm sure she could be a great shoe model. The bite is on the bottom and bearly noticable. Thanks so much for your interest in Barney's creation.

Q:  Can you please take my pre order for Barney's next offering. I believe its to be a ballerina called " She Who Dances With Bears." Will you require a deposit. Do you have an anticipated price and ship date. Thanks so much.

A:   Barney will be working on edition #2 shortly. As a STARVING artist he is going to be working like a bear to get it done quickly. Please save him in your favorites so you can be first to see his new creation! He really thanks you for all your interest! Bear Hugs, Barney

Q:  Hi,does she come wearing any clothes or does she come bear ?,sorry I mean bare ! :)

A:   Thank you for writing. She comes Bare but I can cover her bits so she is bearly bare if that would help. Thanks for your interest. Barnmey thanks you!

Q:  But if she encounters further damage, my pristine Bear Art is ruined!! and the COA becomes invalid.......

A:   Oh dear. That is a grizzly thought! I bearly thought of additional damage. I can certainly send her in a box. Barney will wrap her carefully so that she will arrive in the pristine mint condition as shown in the photos! lol

Q:  Do you think that if we ask him nicely he can sign her butt? also I would like to know if she had a given name and if a COA would be provided, thanks. I hope this is just the first of many pieces, Barney is for sure a promising artist!

A:   Thank you! Yes, Barney would be glad to sign her butt! I believe he named her Mauledeen. Yes, there is a COA included . Barney plans on doing a ballerina next called " She Who Dances With Bears. Please put Barney on your favorites list so you will know when his next ooak comes up for auction. Since this all started he has bearly had time to rest. Thanks for writing! Big Bear Hugs

Q:  Free shipping is really great~thanks. Does this include tracking and insurance for the winner Thank you.

A:   Thank you for writing and your interest in the Bearly played with doll. Yes insurance and tracking is included. Not sure what to insure her for tho as she has so much damage . Bear Art is hard to insure accurately. I am sending her in a padded envelope because more damage can't hurt her anyway. lol Thank you. Jude

Q:  Hi,I was wondering if Barney does commissions? I have a doll that resembles my X Husband's Girlfriend that needs a Makeover and I think Barney could help with that? What would he charge for the body enhancements? She wears a lot of Cheap Perfume, has Breast Implants, Facial upgrades and long hair so I think he would like this work. Price with photos please??

A:   Barney may start doing commissions. He is already going to do a ballerina called "Doll That Dances With Bears". If you add Barney to your favorites list you can be informed of his next offering. I'm sure he would love to do a cheap doll. He loves cheap and cheap perfume. lol He can bearly stand it!

Q:  Is this doll sold "as is"?

A:   yes, I'm afraid it is sold as is. As you can see she has some minor issues. Please ask any questions before you bid as I want to keep my good feedback and stars! Please look at the photos carefully. I have tried very hard to describe her as well as I can. As you can see she may require some "PLASTC Surgery". I am not an expert so hopefully this has answered your question???????? Feel free to contact me if you have other questions. I'm not sure what the true definition of "AS IS" really is. lol

Barney has left the building!

And that wraps up this edition of Fashion Doll Review. I would like to thank Jude and Barney for their gracious consent and use of their valuable time to be interviewed. All photos are by Jude, and starring Barney the Bear and Tyler Wentworth. All auction text is by Jude.

5 comments:

  1. "Mint except for..."

    Oh my goodness. My iced latte! My computer! Don't tell my husband how my keyboard got sticky!

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is HILARIOUS!
    I can hardly BEAR the laughter! Now I'm emBEARassed because everyone wants to know why I'm rolling on the floor.

    Short counter-story: Many years ago, I went to a zoo with my then-boyfriend, and he lost his lighter. It fell into the Bear enclosure, and it was a bright orange Camel Zippo lighter. The bears played with it and fiddled with it until we were able to fish it out.
    He was so proud of that thing. Even after being mauled by a bear it still worked! Had teeth marks in it, though.

    Bears are curious animals who will pick up and play with anything that takes their fancy, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as mentioned in the story, a bear near Mt. Rainier made my dad teleport.

      My mom and I were camping in a camper at the park, while my dad and some friends climbed the mountain. The day they got back, they set up some tents, because they were pretty tired from climbing. That night, some fool who had left earlier, decided they didn't feel like packing out a package of bacon they had brought with them, so they just threw it in the garbage.

      The bears came out in force that evening for a treat.

      Naturally, this was a concern for my dad and his friends, since they were all in tents, and none of them had firearms, which was against park regulations. So dad and his buddies were all stumbling around with their flashlights, playing a game of "dodge bear" trying to stay out of the way of the bears. Luckily, they were black bears, which are smaller and a lot less aggressive than grizzlies.

      At one point, my dad almost stumbled over a cub. Not wanting to mess with an angry mama, dad clapped his hands and stomped his foot, to encourage the cub to get away from him. He heard a growl behind him, and the next thing he knew, he was in the middle of a picnic table, about 15 feet away, with no idea how he ended up there. Mama Bear didn't swat him, that much was certain. To the day he died, he still could not figure it out.

      Did Scotty beam him over to that table?

      I had heard all the fuss the night before, not to mention, my mom freaking out, and I was upset. I was about four at the time, and my dad managed to explain it in a way that I understood - "I scared BooBoo, and Yogi scared me!"

      Delete
  3. LOL this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your thoughtful, on-topic, and relevant comments. We'd love to start a discussion here.

Please note that links, off-topic, and irrelevant comments won't be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...