Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year's resolutions...

Vintage Barbie shelf

Do you have resolutions this year? I always try to make them, and end up not quite keeping them. This hasn't discouraged me so far, though.

We are finishing up a hectic week of rearranging the kids' rooms. I still have one bookshelf to sort through, and I'd like to go through my closet. The problem is, I feel like as soon as I donate my too-big clothing, I'll be setting myself up to regain all the weight I lost. But it's time to just buckle down and get it done. Along the same lines, I'm thinking of the doll clothes I own, and doing the same thing with them.

I'm playing with fewer dolls these days, simply because of time constraints. I have several BJDs to sell, plus I have a ton of vintage Barbie I don't enjoy like I used to. There isn't a rush, I suppose--but it would be nice to have the space. I'd like to be able to display each doll in a simple and uncluttered setting. Maybe that means pairing down a little (or more than a little).

Then... there's the Azone problem. I really got into Pure Neemo dolls this past year, and while they are cute, I have way too many! They lose their value once deboxed, of course. I haven't met another collector who'd be interested in the ones I have--well, save my friends Melissa and Megann. Plus, my daughter Lauren would kill me if I got rid of even one! The nice thing is that these dolls display really nicely, since they are only about 10" tall.

As far as conventions go--I'm registered for Grant A Wish, Barbie, and IFDC--though I should make sure I sent in the IFDC registration. I'm also planning to attend the Integrity Toys convention this year, as it's within driving distance. I was thinking of Tonner's Texas convention, but I think that's pushing it.

Finally, I'd like to finish the three books in progress I have this year. I am working on a rewrite/revision of Steffie: Out of the Box, which includes the latest dolls, some additional OOAK dolls, and will combine both prior volumes. Second, I'm getting very close to finishing Daphne: Out of the Box, which focuses on Effanbee's/Tonner's Daphne sculpt. I've realized I won't be able to include every Daphne made, as some are just too hard to find and much to pricey for me to justify for this project. I were still interested in hanging on to those taller dolls in my own collection, it would be worthwhile.

Finally, there's the biggest project: the next edition of Ball-Jointed Dolls for Beginners. I have a lot written, but it's just not coming together as easily as I'd like. I got stuck doing a new and improved database of BJD companies, and it's hard to keep on top of what is still around and which companies have gone under. Plus, I'm having problems with the book format, and I may need help this time around.

So, between all of these things and taking more photos of my dolls, I think I'm set!

6 comments:

  1. Those are really nice resolutions! Hope you can achieve them all, and attend all of the conventions!
    Happy new year for you, and all my best wishes for this 2015 year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited about your Steffie book re-write. Are you still accepting photos of custom dolls? I've done some good Steffie re-roots this year and a whole lot of sewing, and I'd love to show you what I've done, even if my work doesn't make the cut. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, definitely! I'd love to see your work! Are you on Flickr?

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I don't have any doll photos on Flickr yet, but I'm hoping to get some soon. I'll let you know when I do.

      *Goes off to nag husband/photographer.*

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous doll display.

    Yes, I've got doll organizing, selling, and buying goals. I'm determined to get them done, too. This year.

    Best wishes for your resolutions. They sound fun.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck with your resolutions! I've enjoyed seeing all the different dolls you've highlighted this past year (my first full year in the doll hobby) and look forward to what's ahead :)

    If you do end up wanting help with the book formatting, I'm an artist and graphic designer and prefer working with self-published authors.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your thoughtful, on-topic, and relevant comments. We'd love to start a discussion here.

Please note that links, off-topic, and irrelevant comments won't be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...