Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The great shift in doll collections...


An antiqued photo, originally uploaded by alington.
My doll collection has been going through growing pains lately. I've been hmm-ing and haw-ing for weeks, trying to decide which direction to turn--trying to decide which dolls to keep, and which to sell.

I'm a very fortunate collector--I have a very generous dolly budget. But like all budgets, mine is limited, and my doll wish-list is growing more expensive as it "matures." So, I find myself having to make decisions.

There are many collectors who collect dolls for the sake of having the complete doll, in a box, never removed. I see and understand the value of such an item, especially in vintage Barbie dolls. But with ball-jointed dolls, you have so many customization options, and the ability to do so many different things to your dolls. I've noticed my collection and the thoughts and feelings I have toward my collection have been moving in a completely different direction since I've gotten into BJDs.

So here I am: Do I keep the dolls I like, or just the ones I love? I could sell the dolls I like, and exchange them for dolls I really love. But what if I regret it later? What if I miss them?

It was agonizing for a while, actually. (Keeping in mind this is a fun and relaxing hobby, of course!) And I'm one of the unusual people in the world (apparently) who feels better before I make the decision than after.

So. I've decided to part with a few of my ball-jointed girls. In exchange and hopes for some others, which I've been wanting to add for a while. I'm still in the process of restoring some, which has been wonderful and rewarding, too. They will be available soon, too.

At any rate, if you're interested, you can check out some of the dolls I have for adoption--or will have soon. I'll be adding some more later, also. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

We welcome your thoughtful, on-topic, and relevant comments. We'd love to start a discussion here.

Please note that links, off-topic, and irrelevant comments won't be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...