Sunday, March 13, 2011

Turning a silk scarf into some new wardrobe pieces

I recently found some silk scarf panels of fabric at my local swap meet (my favorite place to find cheap fabric!) and decided to see what I could make with them.

From the circular design in the center of the scarf, I was able to make 2 half-circle skirts. I added a waistband and 2 rectangular strips to one to create a halter dress. (My vintage brunette bubble cut models this one.)

The second half of the circle I folded over at the top to make an elastic casing, then made a seam at the center back. (I supplemented this outfit with a navy t-shirt knit bodysuit - also made from cheap swap meet fabric!) The 2 corners cut from the panel I used as the front and back of a tunic, with a pair of knit leggings to round out her outfit. (These are pictured on the 2 Fashion Royalty dolls.)


I've pictured the panel after I cut out enough for these 3 outfits. As you can see, there's still enough left over for several more outfits; maybe even a few throw pillows for their sofa.

The next time you find a beautiful scarf at a vintage store or even in your closet, imagine what it could become with a little draping and stitching. (Okay, plus a little patience, too. Let's face it, patience is needed when sewing with silk!) And if the edges are already hemmed, you can save yourself a step by using those edges.

(And now for my shameless plug...) For more detailed photos of each, please check out the links below for the listings in My Etsy Shop:
Halter Dress
Skirt & Bodysuit
Tunic & Leggings

5 comments:

  1. Very Clever! I'll have to try it. I love all looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! My sister told me about your blog, theylove dolls and sew them clothe. The outfits are fantastic very classy, it reminds me of ralph lauren. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your encouragement, Andrea! I just took a quick look at your blog and it looks like we have something in common - coming from Canada to California to marry our husbands! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi , It Andrea from how isitincali..something happened and I cant comment anymore with my blog unless it is a pop out screen...
    anyways lol California guys are cut :)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea, it looks like you were able to make a comment, at least anonymously, and LOL!

    What browser are you using? Do you mean you can't comment with your Google login? That's odd.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your thoughtful, on-topic, and relevant comments. We'd love to start a discussion here.

Please note that links, off-topic, and irrelevant comments won't be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...