Wednesday, November 17, 2010

1976 SuperSize Barbie

 My newest girl: a 1976 SuperSize Barbie. (One of the few dolls I own that is older than me!)

I acquired her in a trade at my local doll meet last weekend. She came with her original white outfit (plus box, accessories & stand), as well as this blue dress and a handmade velvet dress. She is the same proportions as Barbie, but 18 inches tall. I was drawn to her beautiful face and plan to make her design her a beautiful wardrobe to match it.

I couldn't help snapping a few photos...







Some box photos:


 The gorgeous pleated, metallic dress. Does anyone out there have a prom dress like this in their closet?
 Her sweet smile that first captured me.
 Beautiful blond hair - string still attached.
 Her original shoes. (Please excuse the lint in my carpet.)
 Her original bodysuit.

 Option #1: paired with a straight, full-length skirt.
 Option #2: with pants.
 The handmade velvet dress that was included. I may rework this one, since the bodice is a little worn and it's not really my style. The fabric is gorgeous, though.
 Closeup of the beaded neckline.
 Original accessories:

4 comments:

  1. I'm SO jealous! :) She's so pretty!

    I'm sure Carolyn will comment here in a minute, though. (You'd better bring her to the next doll meet!) :)

    I didn't know she included all those original accessories! Eeek! We'll have to try her in some of my BJD clothes, I suppose, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOO jealous, just like Alison! I had one that was in more or less pristine condition, until another doll leaned against her, leaving what looked to be "melt marks" on her breasts and forearm. I cried for a week!

    I wish Mattel would get the lead out, and make Supersize Barbies again, only with more articulation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be awesome if Mattel brought her back. With the trend of Moxie Girlz evolving into Moxie Teenz, and Bratz offering a larger version, maybe they'll jump on the bandwagon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have my supersize Barbie, but only have the original bathing suit. My mom purchased 3 of them in 1976. One for me, one for my sister, and one for herself so she could make clothes for our dolls. I had forgotten about the skirt and pants and all the other accessories. Ahhh, memories! lol

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your thoughtful, on-topic, and relevant comments. We'd love to start a discussion here.

Please note that links, off-topic, and irrelevant comments won't be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...